Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Overweight Can Snack Up On You!

Snacks. I love them and hate them at the same time. I need snacks to get me through my day, but don't always make the best choices. I often grab a mini Weight Watchers snack bar. While they're quite tasty, they don't fill me up and I usually end up eating something else, too. I've been trying lately to switch up my snacking to healthier choices that fill me up and stick with me. It so happens that this topic was what we talked about at my WW meeting yesterday, too. Yes, I went to WW on vacation, I've never missed a meeting since I joined! So what kinds of foods fill you up for longer and make good snacks? Anything that gives you energy and keeps hunger at bay such as:

  • low-fat dairy
  • eggs
  • sliced lean deli meat
  • Whole-grain breads
  • whole-grain crackers
  • whole-grain chips
  • Fruit
  • veggies
  • fiber-filled cereals
  • hummus

Healthy fats such as avacado, nuts, and peanut butter should be enjoyed in small amounts, but provide essential fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins and are great to pair with foods from the above list.



My new favorite snack is apple and peanut butter sandwiches. They fill me up, give me my peanut butter (I love PB!) and satisfy a sweet craving, too. Apples are full of fiber and peanut butter gives me protein, so this snack is sure to stick with me between meals without wanting anything else.




Knowing when to snack is another obstacle for some. I often crave something around 10AM and 3PM. Knowing this, I try to be prepared and don't let myself get past those times without a snack to avoid over-eating once I do get a snack or to the next meal. Being aware of when you usually need a snack is powerful knowledge that you can use to your advantage. Being prepared for those snack times will help you in your weight-loss goals. Keep in mind that food is fuel. It should be enjoyed, but not too much and make sure that whatever you're eating is worth it! You're worth it!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Kati said...

Hi Annie! I just found your blog and I'm so glad that I did! I love finding new WW blogs. I too have struggled with PCOS, but now am expecting my fist child. My success is, without a doubt, a product of my faith and weight loss through Weight Watchers. I look forward to following you on your journey! :)

Connie said...

Now that I'm eating eggs for breakfast....I don't need a morning snack anymore!

I love a handful of almonds!