Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Fargo Marathon Weekend: Day 3

First things first, I weighed in this morning expecting a gain. I didn't gain, but lost 0.2 pound. A loss is a loss, so I'll take it! That is one stick of butter off of me somewhere. ;)

About two blocks away from the finish line
5K, 10K, and "Go Far Challenge" medals
The Fargo Marathon Saturday morning 10K race was a big deal for me to complete! I was so excited that I didn't sleep well the night before. I woke up at 5:30 AM and quickly got dressed and had a bite to eat along with a big glass of water. My mom walked the 10K with me along with one of her co-workers (such a sweet lady who sometimes reads my blog...Hi J!). The morning was a little rainy, but it didn't rain at all during our race. We walked through old neighborhoods where I grew up, saw friends along the way and had fun! Mile marker 4 was right by my parents' home, so my dad and son were outside cheering us on along with my aunt and uncle at the end of our block. At about mile 4 1/2 I got tired. I kept moving, but was ready to just be done with it. Someone cheering everyone on had some great music with the perfect beat playing and I picked up my pace and by mile marker 5 I was on a roll. I went ahead of my mom and then jogged into the Fargo Dome to finish the race when a lady passing me cheered me on and said, "Come on, Girl, you can do it!" I jogged in with her (thank you whoever you were!!) and felt awesome!

At the end of the race, when I was walking by myself, I had quietness that allowed me to reflect on the last year and where I was just a year ago. I got a little choked up thinking about just how far I've come in the last year and just how proud of myself I am. I try hard to keep that pride at bay and be grateful for the blessing that the last year has been to me, but in that moment I felt like shouting, "I've lost 86 pounds in the last year and look at me now!!!" I didn't, of course, say anything at all, but I'm sure the smile on my face when I finished the race showed everyone just how happy I was to be there, finishing my first official 10K. My finishing time was 1:43:02, which was a slower pace than what I was hoping for, but I was just so happy to finish it.
Races complete!

For completing two races during the weekend events, I earned a third medal for the "Go Far Challenge"!


Next year I hope to RUN the 5K and 10K!

Photobucket

2 comments:

Connie said...

Great job Annie! That is a lot of walking!

Kelty said...

Awesome! Congratulations on finishing!