Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Loser Tips

Just a quick post...

New Year resolutions almost always means many new people trying to lose weight. I thought of a few tips I would give someone if they were just starting out. Here they are:
  1. Take a before picture, or several! You don't have to share it with anyone if you don't want to, but later you won't regret having one. I have front, side, and back view pictures along with just my face. Sometimes different angles like that show your loss at different times. Then take a new picture every 5-10 pounds, the difference is huge!
  2. Take your measurements! It won't be pretty, no matter how big you're starting out. You most likely won't like doing it, but time and time again I've heard people at my WW meetings who are close to making Lifetime wish that they would have taken their measurements. Do it! I take my neck, chest above bust, bust, ribcage, waist, hips, thighs, calves, biceps and wrist measurements. I also keep track of my pant sizes. Sometimes you'll see inches lost when the pounds aren't going down, so it is a great motivator! 
  3. Drink your water. WW says that any beverage that has no caffeine counts. I say drink your H2O! Nothing beats it. Get yourself a pretty water bottle to drink from, I find bottles with straws helpful as I drink more with them. I recently was given a pretty bottle that looks like something you'd put coffee in. I love that it looks like I'm drinking some posh coffee when in fact I'm drinking water. ;)
  4. Wear your shoes! Put on some tennis shoes throughout the day and I bet you'll move more! Just make sure you aren't wearing the same shoes to the gym on the equipment if you're a member. They tend to frown on that.
  5. Get plenty of sleep. 8 hours is a must for me to function well. If you don't sleep enough, you'll have a tendancy to eat more, at later hours and choose caffinated drinks over water.
  6. Stop eating at least two hours before bedtime. Three is better, but two is good.
  7. Exercise. Find something you enjoy and go with it! Park farther away from the store, take the stairs....etc. It all adds up. No one says you have to join a gym or run marathons in order to get in shape! Small things really do make a difference.
  8. Don't say NO all of the time! It is okay to have a treat. It is okay to have a brownie, cookie, soda, chips, pizza, burger....etc. It is okay! Just count the points, track them, and stay on point. Use those 49 weekly points you get, they're there to be used. You're more likely to keep the weight off in the long run if you use them now. Also, don't go "cold turkey" on anything. Just set limits. If you cut something out completely that you really enjoy you'll like end up binging on it later. Don't do that to yourself.
  9. Don't give up! If you have a rough day, tomorrow is a new one. If you have a meal that wasn't so great, start over with your next meal. If you have a bad week, weigh-in anyway and then move forward. It is okay to gain weight when you're trying to lose it. It is normal to do so. As long as you're accountable for every BLT (bite, lick or taste) that goes into your mouth, you're going in the right direction!
  10. Enjoy this journey you've started! You CAN do this!!


Annie

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Thanks for the tips Annie! You have been so inspiring to me. I plan to join Weight Watchers soon!

Connie said...

Great tips!